Around 10% of the adult US population has been diagnosed with diabetes, and even more are likely living with these symptoms without even realizing it.
Though diabetes is a serious condition, there are plenty of ways you can manage diabetes and live a full, healthy, and happy life. Whether you’ve recently been diagnosed, or have a loved one dealing with this condition, we at Bayless Healthcare have prepared this short guide for understanding diabetes and what it takes to manage it effectively.
Diabetes Signs, Symptoms, and Testing
Common signs of diabetes include going to the bathroom to urinate frequently, being thirsty no matter how much water you drink, being frequently ill, unexplained weight fluctuation, poor circulation, or being constantly tired or irritated.
If you have any of these symptoms, you should see a doctor right away especially if they appear to not be linked to any cause.
During your appointment, you may need to go through one of these tests for diabetes:
- Fasting Plasma Glucose – done when you haven’t eaten in at least 8 hours to see the amount of glucose in your blood;
- A1C Test – will measure your average blood glucose over the course of 3 months
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test – shows how your body uses glucose after an overnight fast and eating a burst of sugar.
Understanding Type 1 Diabetes
People of all ages can be diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It means your body does not produce insulin, a hormone the body needs to get glucose from the bloodstream into the cells of your body. When your body doesn’t produce it, glucose remains in your blood, causing an array of symptoms.
However, you can effectively manage type 1 diabetes and prevent it from controlling your life by adopting a few key strategies:
- Following your insulin therapy treatment – since your body cannot produce insulin on its own, your doctor will prescribe insulin therapy treatment. It’s important to follow their instructions to the letter!
- Changing your diet – limiting sugar intake is one of the biggest diet changes you will have to make. Your doctor will provide you with more good nutritional changes based on your specific case;
- Having a healthy lifestyle – staying active and taking care of your overall health and wellbeing is another great way to manage diabetes and lead a happy and healthy life.
Understanding Type 2 Diabetes
This is the most common type of diabetes. Unlike with type 1, in type 2 diabetes your body does produce insulin, but it cannot use it properly, which leads to an array of health concerns.
But, you can also effectively manage it. In most cases, changing your diet and staying active will help you effectively manage your condition, though in some cases patients can still need certain medications. Your doctor can devise the best treatment plan based on your specific health profile.
Understanding Gestational Diabetes
In this case, the body doesn’t make enough insulin during pregnancy, though in some cases it’s believed that other hormones produced during pregnancy can also block the effects of insulin. Gestational diabetes often doesn’t affect women once the baby is born, but there is a demonstrated higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes later in life.
Bayless Is Here to Help You Manage Diabetes
If you’re experiencing certain symptoms of diabetes or even if you’ve already been diagnosed, we at Bayless Healthcare. Our approach goes beyond just making sure you access the right medication, as we take the holistic route to make sure all our patients can manage diabetes through the right lifestyle changes.
If you want to schedule an appointment at Bayless Healthcare, fill out our online contact form now!