August celebrates National Wellness Month, a time focusing on self-care and creating healthy routines. If you feel like you’re in need of a new routine, this would be a great time to start. By practicing wellness, we can better manage our stress, promote happiness, and increase our quality of life.
How World Events Can Affect Wellness
We have experienced an increase in some crazy worldwide events over the past few years, and it is easy to let the anxiety in. Continuing to digest the negative happenings of the world over and over again can lead to depression, sleep deprivation, an increase in anxiety, and more. This is why the practice of “wellness” is so important to incorporate in our daily lives.
How to Boost Wellness
Improving your overall wellness and health can be simple changes that could grow into huge improvements for both your physical and mental well being!
- Ways to improve physical wellness
- Drinking Water: Increasing your water intake is one of the best and easiest things you can do to improve your overall health. If you struggle with drinking water, try adding a flavor booster or fruit!
- Eat Tasty, Whole Foods: Aim for foods that you could either pick from your garden, make in the kitchen, or find at a farmer’s market stand.
- Exercising: Start small when adding more activity to your lifestyle. Getting outdoors is an incredible choice that can improve your strength, heart health, and confidence. Even taking daily walks is a great start!
- Sleeping: Try your best to monitor your sleep habits and make adjustments if need be. Getting good and consistent sleep is a great way to improve how you feel.
- Stretching: Day-to-day life can get us in a rut and make our muscles tense. Setting aside a few minutes every day to stretch can improve your flexibility, make you feel stronger, and improve your posture.
- Ways to improve mental wellness
- Do one thing every day that makes you feel good: When was the last time you did something for you? Take yourself on a movie or dinner date, or spend time with your friends. Maybe you spend a little extra time pampering yourself.
- Take some time for yourself: We sometimes get so lost in everyday life that we forget the beauty around us. Take a stroll through a park and admire nature.
- Soak up the sun: Not only is Vitamin D great for a tan, but it actually has a ton of mental health benefits. Getting 15 minutes of sunlight daily (whether it’s warm out or not) reduces stress and depression, and can extend our life span.
- Experience something new: Going out of your comfort zone and trying something that you’ve never done or seen before can improve your mood and raise confidence!
- Try to de-stress: Enjoy your favorite hobby, relax, or read a good book. Taking some time from your busy day to do things that you want to do can really heighten your mood.
- Exercise your brain: Sudoku, crossword puzzles, or other puzzle games can be a fun and engaging way to stimulate your brain and improve your mental wellness!
Selecting one, two, or even all of these and trying to make them an everyday habit can help improve both your physical and mental wellbeing. Working on yourself is hard but very rewarding and can make your life better overall. Bayless Integrated Healthcare is passionate about our wellness services we offer anytime, anywhere. Call 602-230-7373, and get a 15-minute free consultation with one of our licensed professionals and receive care within 72 hours.