Therapy is an effective treatment for a variety of problems, or if you just need someone to talk to. The right therapist will listen and identify ways to cope with problems in a healthy way.
How to Find a Therapist That Works for You
When looking for a therapist, consider the following:
- Experience: Look for a therapist with experience treating the same problems you are facing.
- Treatment options: Many therapists offer a variety of treatment options.
- Trust your gut: The connection might just not feel right. We recommend you go with your gut and keep looking for someone who you trust.
Questions to ask yourself when choosing a therapist:
- Do you get the feeling that the therapist cares about your feelings and your problems?
- Does the therapist understand you?
- Does the therapist accept who you are?
- Can you be completely open and honest with them?
- Is the therapist a good listener?
Online vs In-Person Therapy
Think about what type of therapy will work best for you. See if a therapist offers that type of therapy. Online therapy is more convenient and helps avoid travel expenses and time. Being in a more familiar and comfortable environment could make it easier to open up. On the other hand, in-person therapy has its benefits as well. You have a private space to open up. Consider what is best for your needs.
If you ever experience a mental health emergency, you can call the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Helpline at 1-800-950-6264. You will be connected to a volunteer who can help address your needs, answer your questions, offer support, and provide practical next steps. This can be helpful when you cannot get ahold of your therapist.
Bayless Integrated Healthcare understands that when times are hard, it can be difficult to reach out. If you are looking for a virtual or in-person therapist, we can help you. Get care like no other through our 72-hour access to care services. Contact us at 602-230-7373!